Alien: One More Surprise Ending

Leading from
Alien: Making the Movie   


a) This is not where the story ends
The film was meant to be over when she goes inside the escape shuttle, takes off, signs off and even with the big bang behind her, that was sound and mixing between three cards and a wobbly camera and he was supposed to sign off there. Ridley felt he simply couldn't end the film here "No way, you can't do that, you canna possibly end there"

b) O'Bannon's original ending
Originally Dan O'Bannon had included an ending in the script where the alien was going to be blown out of the Narcissus with Ripley trailing after it. Ridley felt that it was an outrageous ending but he thought it was wonderful. He thought it had to happen but only if it could be done believably real, in a way that it was so outrageous that it would make you want to cheer and clap

c) Ridley's plan
So the actual end of the movie almost never got made, and there are a few stories about what would have been there right at the end. But Ridley's thoughts went with reintroducing as much of O'Bannon's ending as possible in a way where Ridley would close the lid on the story and then let it out again so that when Ripley goes into that shuttle, there's a moment when the audience knows that the film isn't over when you're sitting in the seat.

d) Fourth Act filmed in Four days
He told the the studio bosses "I wanna spend X to give you a fourth act."

They replied "How much?"

He added "It'll take us four day "

They replied "Four Days!"

Ridley responded "You really don't even know what I'm going to do yet, let me explain to you what I'm going to do, then you'll go "how can you do that in four days?" as opposed to "four days!" We're not finishing the film when she jumps in the shuttle, there's a fourth act,"

They said "What do you mean, the film's over when she jumps in the shuttle and takes off and bingo!"

But Ridley's next response was "No, there's a fourth act in there that will change the way films are made"


e) See also: The Creature In The Wall


Source Quotes 
  1. Fantastic Film: The original ending was different. Can you explain it for us?Ridley Scott: The alien was going to be blown out the door of the Narcissus with Ripley trailing after it. It was an outrageous ending, but I thought it was wonderful. I thought it had to happen, but only if it could be believably done that it would be real. It had to become so openly outrageous that it wouldmake you want to cheer or clap (interview from Fantastic Films as  Reproduced in "Ridley Scott: interviews")
  2. (1:38: 19 /1:41:50) Ridley Scott: Now the film was meant to be over when she goes inside, ah, you take off, you do the signing off. Now clearly you can not end the film (1:42:00) here, even with a big bang behind her. And you know, the big bang's then are not the big bangs we could do today, but you know what, today it'd be CGI, this is all real inside the... inside the studio on the set which is you know, only firewood. Okay so this is all design as the end of the movie. So there's a one megaton thing going to go off in a second, and graphic design, interesting uh. Just a flat card , nothing happening, (01:39:00) it's just the sound and mixing between three cards, and I figure you've got to have two or three, but this, I've go... I've got the wobbling down now pretty good. Nobody's really wobbled the camera 'til this moment you know I remember til that, so I'm literally wobbling the camera. Bit unsure about the red ball. (1:43:00) And score. Now, this would be the end of the film. But that.. that's it, you would do a signing off there, and I had to say "no way, you can't do that, you canna possibly end there"

    Here we made it for 8.6, which even in those days was cheap

    (1:39:41 / 1:43:30) Sigourney Weaver: I didn't know that, I thought it was $14

    (1:39:43 / 1:43:32) Ridley Scott: 8.6

    (1:39:44 / 1:43:30) Sigourney: Aah, Wow!

    (1:39:45 / 1:43:32) Ridley Scott: Yeah, So at the end I said "I wanna spend X to give you a fourth act. "
    "How much? 
    And I said well, "it'll take us four days"...  
    "Four Days!" 
    I said "you really don't even know what I'm going to do yet," so I said, "let me explain to you what I'm going to do, then you'll go "how can you do that in four days?" as opposed to "four days!"(01:40:00). I said "we're not finishing the film when she jumps in the shuttle, there's a fourth act," And they said, "what do you mean, the film's over when she jumps in the shuttle and takes off and bingo!"
    I said "no, there's a fourth act in there that will change the way films are made" because at at , I think until this moment, it's almost fair to say, there's probably going to be some small independent film saying to me "you know, you're full of bull", but you know, today we've got an interesting idea of "now, the end, then the end and then the end, and by the way here's the other end", right and I always wanted to close the lid and then suddenly let it out again, babbam, okay. So when Ripley goes into that shuttle, there's a moment when you know that the film isn't over where.. when you're sitting in the seat.(alien anthology/quadrilogy A;ien commentary) 
  3. (http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/21/alien-covenant-michael-fassbender-details/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment